Visit Ackle.com, the site for interesting stories from around the globe.
Descendants of James Drake
Those of us who have been researching this line of Drakes have tried to be as thorough as possible, but we cannot guarantee that everything listed here is 100 percent accurate.
Generation No. 1
(My direct line ancestors are in bold.)
1. JAMES1 DRAKE was born 1740 in Sussex County, NJ, and died November 1818 in Hamilton, Butler County, OH. He married MARY?. I have seen on a couple of web sites that he was married to, Mary Manning, but I have been unable to verify that.
Notes for JAMES DRAKE:
Has also been called James John DRAKE by some.
He seems to have migrated from NJ to PA, (Although he might have been in VA, the borders between the two have flucuated) KY, OH, IN. Indiana Terrotory was formed in 1800. The "Gore" area remained part of Hamilton Co, OH until 1803 at which time that area became Dearborn Co, IN. Franklin C0, was once part of Dearborn Co, as was Wayne Co, Indiana.
"James Drake & Mary were in Nelson County, Kentucky in 1792 & 1800.
Their son John, b 1763, was also in Nelson County, Kentucky in 1792 &
1800. There are also two John Drakes listed in Mason County, Kentucky,
James Drake, b 1740, was in Butler, Ohio, by 1806.
THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS, Volume 1, Part 1, CHAPTER III OLD KENTUCKY GRANTS (1793-1856) THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY, page 166,
Grantee: Drake, James, Acres: 100, Book: 14, Page: 115, Date Survey: 2-19-1799
County: Nelson, Watercourse: E Fk Cox Cr
"FIRST CENSUS" OF KENTUCKY 1790, [p.1] HISTORY OF THE FIRST UNITED STATES CENSUS OF KENTUCKY, [p.5] Kentucky Counties in 1790, page 30
Drake, James, Nelson Co. 11/8/1792
James and Mary DRAKE were witnesses to the will of James WHITE of Hamilton County, Ohio. Abstracted from Old Will Book I, Butler County, Ohio Probate Court Records. Recorded July 1803.
A James Drake, bachelor, m. Mary Parsons, spinster, Wright Township,
Bucks County, on March 29, 1753. Church Records: Selected Areas of PA, 1600s-1800s. Not sure if this is my James. He would have only been 13. His first child wasn't born until 1763, so probably not him.
A James DRAKE b. 1741, d.1808 married JANE OGDEN. She was born in 1745 in NEW BRUNSWICK NJ. She died JAN 1826. New Brunswick is just down the road from Piscataway, where I believe the ancestor DRAKEs of John lived. They were married March 17, 1769. This would be prior to the birth of John Sr. 1763, so it is unlikely that this is my James.
A James DRAKE, Middlesex married Mary Ross, Middlesex, May 8, 1765. (NJ Colonial Documents, p.110) This would be after the birth of John Sr. 1763, so it is unlikely that this is my James. (I have left these possible marriages in the report so others searching for James Drakes may be helped by this information.)
Death of James Drake, Nov, 1818 Hamilton, Butler, OH according to Curt Drake (researcher).
A James DRAKE was the witness on the following will: Northampton County, PA; 1752-1802. BOYD, John, yeoman, Forks of the Delaware 11/1/1759 -- 12/3/1759 wife Elizabeth children 4 son and 3 dau. ex. Samuel BROWN, James and Robert YOUNG wit, George SHARP and James DRAKE
Children of JAMES DRAKE and MARY? are:
2. i. JOHN SR.2 DRAKE, b. March 04, 1763, New Jersey; d. 1838, Wayne County, Indiana.
ii. MOSES DRAKE, b. September 09, 1765; d. November 29, 1831, Butler, OH; m. ELIZABETH POUND, September 11, 1800, Shelby County, Kentucky.
iii. HOLLY DRAKE.
3. iv. HANNAH DRAKE, b. January 06, 1768, New Jersey.
v. TABITHA DRAKE, b. April 14, 1771, Pennsylvania; m. JAMES WHITE, February 16, 1790, Nelson County, KY.
vi. MARY DRAKE, b. September 17, 1775, Pennsylvania; m. MR. BLUE.
4. vii. JAMES DRAKE, b. April 09, 1778, Pennsylvania; d. June 12, 1865, Sullivan, IN.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN SR.2 DRAKE (JAMES1) was born March 04, 1763 in New Jersey, and died 1838 in Wayne County, Indiana. He married MARY (UNKNOWN).
Notes for JOHN SR. DRAKE:
A John DRAKE married Catherine ARNEST, April 16, 1783. Record of Pennsylvania Marriages Prior to 1810 Volume 1,Marriage Record of the Swedes' Church, (Gloria Dei.), Philadelphia 17501810. The DRAKE family was in PA at this time. (I do not know if this is my John.)
John Sr. his brother Moses and his father James DRAKE are listed in the "FIRST CENSUS" OF KENTUCKY 1790, [p.1] HISTORY OF THE FIRST UNITED STATES CENSUS OF KENTUCKY, [p.5] Kentucky Counties in 1790, page 30, Drake, John, Nelson Co. 11/7/1792
The 1820 Federal Census for Wayne County, Indiana, page 178, shows Isaiah
Drake, James Drake, John Drake, Jr, John Drake, Sr, & Moses Drake.
The 1830 Federal Census for Wayne County, Indiana, page 72, shows John Drake Sr, John Drake Jr, & Moses Drake. So they could not have gone to
Kosciusko county until after 1830.
He left a will in Wayne County, IN, in 1838. The information is from Book 2, Page 179-180:
Requests a decent burial. Then, wants all land sold and his just debts paid. The rest to be equally divided between his children: William Drake, James Drake, Nathaniel Drake, John Drake, Hannah Elston, Elizabeth Smith, Moses Drake, Samuel Drake, except $50.00 he bequeaths to grandson, Jackson Drake and $50.00 each to grandchildren Hannah Drake, Elizabeth Drake and John Drake. $5.00 each to two grandchdildren: Hannah Wilson and Elizabeth Wilson. To his two daughters, Hannah Elston and Elizabeth Smith, he bequeaths bed and bedding to be equally divided. Jackson Drake is to have Balley's bed and bedding. Balance of his personal property is to be sold and equally divided between all his children. Except one bay mare to his daughter Elizabeth Smith and "my account to be settled according to a list I left in the hands of Benjamin Frasier." Written 1 April 1833. Signed: John X Drake
Appointed Ebenezer Paddock and Benjamin Fisher, Adm.
Witnesses: Joseph White, Benjamin Fisher and John M. Foster
Children of JOHN DRAKE and MARY (UNKNOWN) are:
5. i. JOHN JR.3 DRAKE, b. May 15, 1794, Kentucky; d. June 13, 1848, Kosciusko County, Indiana.
6. ii. WILLIAM DRAKE.
iii. JAMES DRAKE, m. ELIZABETH DICKERSON.
iv. MOSES DRAKE, d. Union Township, Elkhart, Indiana; m. REBECCA ELSTON, June 13, 1819.
v. NATHANIEL DRAKE, m. ANN DICKERSON.
vi. NANCY DRAKE, m. ROBERT WILSON.
vii. ELIZABETH DRAKE, m. (UNKNOWN) SMITH.
viii. ISAIAH DRAKE, m. MARTHA DICKERSON.
Notes for ISAIAH DRAKE: In the 1820 Wayne County, Indiana Census Index, there was an Isaiah DRAKE listed on page 178.
ix. SAMUEL DRAKE.
7. x. HANNAH DRAKE, b. 1794, Kentucky.
3. HANNAH2 DRAKE (JAMES1) was born January 06, 1768 in New Jersey.
Notes for HANNAH DRAKE:
A marriage between CARTER, JAMES and DRAKE, HANNAH, took place, 18 OCT 1792, in Mason County, KY. (Not sure if it is this Hannah.)
Child of HANNAH DRAKE is:
i. JESSIE3 DRAKE.
4. JAMES2 DRAKE (JAMES1) was born April 09, 1778 in Pennsylvania, and died June 12, 1865 in Sullivan, IN. He married SARAH PADDOCK January 25, 1798 in Nelson, KY, daughter of EBENEZER PADDOCK and KEZIAH CASE.
Notes for JAMES DRAKE:
Also found a birthdate May 9, 1778.
The following information was sent to me by Barb Marshall <email@example.com>
I found 2 files on your Drake clan on the WFT cds.
Notes for JAMES DRAKE:
Broderbund CD #2
Marriage Index: IL, IN, KY, OH, TN, 1720-1926
Nelson CO, KY
Drake, James Spouse : Paddoc, Sally
Marriage date : 25 Jan 1797
MARRIAGE BONDS OF NELSON CO, KY 1785-1822
p. 95 Drake, James Sally Paddock, dau. of Ebenezer Paddock. Surety Henry Paddock; filed w/bond. Witness: Henry Paddock
Jan. 23, 1798.
1820 Census, Drake, James, Sullivan Co., No TWP, p. 108
1830 Census, Drake, James, Sullivan Co., No TWP, p. 187
1840 Census, Drake, James, Sullivan Co., No TWP, p. 89 & 91
1850 Census, Drake, James, Sullivan Co., Fairbanks, p. 288
1860 Census, Drake, James Sr, .Sullivan Co. Fairbanks, p. 979
Sullivan Co's History was combined with Greene County's & was written in 1884.
Sullivan County, Indiana:
On p. 486 it said that James Drake purchased land in Twp 9, Range 10.
On p. 501:
"In the month of September, 1821, there were elected in Sullivan County one
President and seven Trustees of the County Library pursuant to an act of the
Legislature approved January 2, 1817, which act made provisions for the
founding of libraries in the counties of Pike, Daviess and Jennings. The
offices elected were as follows: ...James Drake...
On p. 520, it said that James Drake was elected Associate Judge & received
his commission on 9/24/1820.
On p. 699, the author was talking about the number of descendants still in
Fairbanks. "There are a number of the Drakes-...Mrs. Sally Drake..."
P. 816, there is a biography on Martin Drake, who was born in Fairbanks Twp,
Sullivan Co., IN on 12/15/1833. In 1817, his father, James Drake, came to
Sullivan County, "which he ever afterward made his home." James was married
2 times. The author doesn't say who his first wife was, but James' 2nd wife
was Mrs. Mary (Stone) Drake, the mother of Martin Drake. Martin Drake
married Miss Matilda Osburn on 1/19/1860. She was the daughter of William &
Martha J. Osburn. Their children were: 1. Mary Jane Drake, b. 11/15/1860; 2.
Rosa Ann Drake, b. 2/27/1862; 3. Eunice Drake, b. 4/7/1866; 4. Albert H.
Drake, b. 9/25/1868; 5. Lillie Drake, b. 2/20/1875.
A list of the DRAKEs in the book, "Pioneer Ancestors of the Members of the Society of Indiana Pioneers."
[compiled by Ruth Dorrel for the Family History Section, Indiana Historical Society, 1983]
Ancestor: DRAKE, James; Birth Place: PA; Birth Date: 1778; Ind. County Settled: Sullivan
Date Settled: 1816-17; Prev. Residence: OH
Children of JAMES DRAKE and SARAH PADDOCK are:
i. ELIZABETH3 DRAKE, b. 1799.
ii. JOHN DRAKE, b. July 03, 1800, Butler County, Ohio; d. September 04, 1878, Wapello, IA; m. MARY CLARK, August 23, 1821.
iii. LYDIA DRAKE, b. 1802.
iv. CYNTHIA DRAKE, b. 1803.
v. JAMES DRAKE, b. 1804.
vi. KEZIAH DRAKE, b. 1807.
vii. HENRY DRAKE, b. 1808.
viii. BENJAMIN DRAKE, b. 1810.
Notes for BENJAMIN DRAKE:
> >>Benjamin Drake b. 25 Apr 1830 md. Eliza Jane Patten 11 Apr 1861 d. 7
> >Jan 1889 both are buried at the Drake Cemetery.
> >>Bill Patten
> Benjamin Drake was a son of James Drake (b 28 Dec 1804, d 25 Jun 1885) &
> Rachel Hunt. James Drake was a son of James Drake (b 9 May 1778, d 12
> Jun 1865) & his wife Sarah Paddock (b 4 Apr 1776, d 16 Aug 1818).
> Benjamin Drake's siblings were: Eli, Sarah, Permelia, Amanda, Albert, &
> Adaline. I have a data on a large number of descendants of Benjamin &
> Eliza Jane as compiled by Doris Chowning in 1983, which I would be happy
> to share with you. Obviously you are not a direct descendent since your
> surname is Patten, so let me know what you want.
ix. SARAH DRAKE, b. 1811.
x. MANNING DRAKE, b. 1813.
Generation No. 3
5. JOHN JR.3 DRAKE (JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born May 15, 1794 in Kentucky, and died June 13, 1848 in Kosciusko County, Indiana. He married ESTHER ELSTON February 22, 1816 in Wayne, County, Indiana, daughter of JOSIAH ELSTON and REBECCA LEWIS.
Notes for JOHN JR. DRAKE:
Aparently both are buried in Milford Cemetery, Milford, Kosc. Co.,
IN. (firstname.lastname@example.org (Neil Long))
Child of JOHN DRAKE and ESTHER ELSTON is:
8. i. ISAIAH4 DRAKE, b. 1822, Kosciusko, Indiana; d. Indiana.
6. WILLIAM3 DRAKE (JOHN SR.2, JAMES1). He married SARAH LISTON 1804 in Butler County, Ohio.
Children of WILLIAM DRAKE and SARAH LISTON are:
9. i. JOSEPH LISTON4 DRAKE, b. December 20, 1814, Vigo Cty, Indiana; d. February 03, 1877, Wilson County, Kansas.
ii. HENRY DRAKE, b. 1804.
iii. CHARLOTTE DRAKE, b. March 11, 1808, Preble, Ohio; d. October 03, 1861, Edgar City, IL; m. WILLIAM SCOTT HAWKINS, 1832.
iv. MARTHA DRAKE, b. 1818.
v. WILLIAM C. DRAKE, b. 1822.
7. HANNAH3 DRAKE (JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born 1794 in Kentucky. She married (1) JOSAIH ELSTON. She married (2) JOSIAH B. ELSTON, son of JOSIAH ELSTON and REBECCA LEWIS.
Children of HANNAH DRAKE and JOSIAH ELSTON are:
i. H. E.4 ELSTON, b. 1830.
ii. A. M. ELSTON, b. 1833.
Generation No. 4
8. ISAIAH4 DRAKE (JOHN JR.3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born 1822 in Kosciusko, Indiana, and died in Indiana. He married RACHEL ALLEN December 26, 1845 in Kosciusko Co., Indiana, daughter of NATHANIEL ALLEN and CATHERINE.
Notes for ISAIAH DRAKE:
Listed as 27, and a farmer, in the 1850 Indiana Census, Kosciusko County, Vanburen Township.
In the 1840 Indiana Census, for Kosciusko County, Vanburen Township, there are two different John DRAKEs listed with families. One is between the ages of 40-50 and the other 50-60. In this census only the head of household is listed, but it gives numbers for various ages of males and females. Isaiah would have been 17 at this time and both John DRAKEs have one son between the ages of 15-20.
Notes for RACHEL ALLEN:
1860 Ind. census says Rachel was born in Ohio, her father in NY
Other Allens married in Kosciusko Co. Ind. close to date of Rachel's marriage:
ALLEN GEORGE SHIVELY MARY ANN KOSCIUSKO 6-22-1848
ALLEN JOHN FRYMIRE JANE KOSCIUSKO 6-6-1850
They are possibly brothers of Rachel.
Children of ISAIAH DRAKE and RACHEL ALLEN are:
10. i. DAVID5 DRAKE, b. April 28, 1872, LaGrange, Indiana; d. May 11, 1933, Coldwater, Michigan.
ii. HANNAH DRAKE, b. 1852; m. JOHN THARP, October 01, 1843, Kosciusko Co., Indiana.
iii. WILLIAM DRAKE, b. 1854.
iv. SUSAN ELNORA DRAKE, b. 1857; m. THOMAS BENTON DILLON.
v. JOHN DRAKE, b. 1859.
More About JOHN DRAKE:
Fact 1: 1935, David's obit says John lives in Nottawa, Michigan
vi. AARON DRAKE, b. 1862.
More About AARON DRAKE:
Fact 1: 1935, David's obit says Aaron lives in Ottawa, Kansas
vii. LUCY DRAKE, b. 1872.
viii. EDIE DRAKE, b. 1876.
ix. ESTHER C. DRAKE, b. 1850.
Notes for ESTHER C. DRAKE:
Listed as 3/12 in the 1850 Indiana Census,
9. JOSEPH LISTON4 DRAKE (WILLIAM3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born December 20, 1814 in Vigo Cty, Indiana, and died February 03, 1877 in Wilson County, Kansas. He married LUCINDA MAY MARRS April 17, 1834 in Vigo Cty, IN.
Notes for JOSEPH LISTON DRAKE:
After Lucinda May MARRS died 5 April 1869, Joseph Liston DRAKE waited less
than a month and married Mary A. WHITE on 12 May 1869. Mary was b. 1813 in
KY. He married again on 29 Jan 1877 a Mrs. Sarah Ann BOZARK in Fredonia, KS. Mrs. Bozark was b. 1819. There were no other children born to these unions
that we have data on. (Drake researcher, Brenda Anderson)
Children of JOSEPH DRAKE and LUCINDA MARRS are:
11. i. WILLIAM ALEXANDER5 DRAKE, b. December 07, 1843, Illinois.
ii. SARAH ANN DRAKE, b. September 07, 1836.
iii. MARY A. DRAKE, b. December 14, 1837.
iv. MARTHA JANE DRAKE, b. 1838.
v. WORTH FRITZ DRAKE, b. November 27, 1838.
vi. HANNAH K. DRAKE, b. April 30, 1841.
vii. LUCINDA ABIGAIL DRAKE, b. March 31, 1846.
viii. CHRISTOPHER C. M. DRAKE, b. October 12, 1848.
ix. PHEBY ELIZABETH DRAKE, b. October 01, 1851.
x. JOSEPH H. DRAKE, b. 1853.
xi. NANCY C. DRAKE, b. October 08, 1854.
Generation No. 5
10. DAVID5 DRAKE (ISAIAH4, JOHN JR.3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born April 28, 1872 in LaGrange, Indiana, and died May 11, 1933 in Coldwater, Michigan. He married MARY CATHERINE SWOVELAND March 26, 1896 in LaGrange, Indiana, daughter of JACOB SWOVELAND and MARY STEVENS.
Children of DAVID DRAKE and MARY SWOVELAND are:
12. i. NELLIE EVA6 DRAKE, b. April 11, 1897, LaGrange, Indiana; d. July 12, 1970, Hastings, Michigan.
ii. HUGO DRAKE.
11. WILLIAM ALEXANDER5 DRAKE (JOSEPH LISTON4, WILLIAM3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born December 07, 1843 in Illinois. He married ELIZABETH K. THOMPSON.
Notes for WILLIAM ALEXANDER DRAKE:
m 2) Minnie LANCASTER in 1876,
m 3) Mrs.Elizabeth HUTCHISON 1881 (Drake researcher, Brenda Anderson)
The children of William Alexander DRAKE b.12 July 1843 and Elizabeth K.
Thompson b.25 March 1839 were:
1) Joseph Nelson DRAKE b. 21 Oct 1865, Shawnee County, KS d. 11 Oct 1922
Wilson County, Ks. m. Edith Ella OWEN
2)John Greathouse DRAKE b. 1867
3)Eligah William DRAKE b.1870 KS m.Nancy Jean MIZER
4)Rachel Ann DRAKE b. abt. 1874 m. John Riley HAAS
Information from Brenda Drake Anderson.
Child of WILLIAM DRAKE and ELIZABETH THOMPSON is:
i. JOSEPH NELSON6 DRAKE, b. 1865.
Generation No. 6
12. NELLIE EVA6 DRAKE (DAVID5, ISAIAH4, JOHN JR.3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born April 11, 1897 in LaGrange, Indiana, and died July 12, 1970 in Hastings, Michigan. She married WILLIAM PATRICK ELLIGET January 01, 1913 in Coldwater, Michigan, son of JOHN ELLIGET and MARIA MAHAFFEY.
Children of NELLIE DRAKE and WILLIAM ELLIGET are:
13. i. MARGARET MAE7 ELLIGET, b. May 25, 1927, Elkhart, Indiana; d. September 28, 1974, Battle Creek, Michigan.
ii. JOSEPH ELLIGET, b. November 16, 1922.
iii. ELIZABETH (BETTY) ELLIGET, b. November 01, 1919.
iv. MARY ELLIGET.
v. RICHARD ELLIGET.
vi. ROBERT ELLIGET, b. December 18, 1920; d. July 17, 1991.
vii. VIVIAN ELLIGET.
Generation No. 7
13. MARGARET MAE7 ELLIGET (NELLIE EVA6 DRAKE, DAVID5, ISAIAH4, JOHN JR.3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born May 25, 1927 in Elkhart, Indiana, and died September 28, 1974 in Battle Creek, Michigan. She married ROBERT GLEN BRAUKER October 12, 1947 in Coldwater, Michigan, son of GLENN BRAUKER and CLARA LANGOHR.
Children of MARGARET ELLIGET and ROBERT BRAUKER are:
14. i. WILLIAM CHARLES8 BRAUKER, b. , Coldwater, Michigan.
ii. JAMES HOWARD BRAUKER, b. .
iii. JACK E. BRAUKER, b.
iv. ROBIN BRAUKER, b.
v. TINA BRAUKER, b. August 21, 1956, Coldwater, Michigan; d. August 21, 1956, Coldwater, Michigan.
Generation No. 8
14. WILLIAM CHARLES8 BRAUKER (MARGARET MAE7 ELLIGET, NELLIE EVA6 DRAKE, DAVID5, ISAIAH4, JOHN JR.3, JOHN SR.2, JAMES1) was born 1948 in Coldwater, Michigan. He married (1) CHRISTINE MARIE KIPP October 30, 1971 in Coldwater, Michigan, daughter of EUGENE KIPP and FRIEDA AMSTUTZ. He married (2) ANNE ELIZABETH JARVIS October 15, 1983 in Plymouth, Michigan, daughter of JOHN JARVIS and HAZEL STOREY.
Child of WILLIAM BRAUKER and CHRISTINE KIPP is:
i. ROBERT EUGENE9 BRAUKER, b. Clare, Michigan.
Children of WILLIAM BRAUKER and ANNE JARVIS are:
ii. MARGAUX ANNE9 BRAUKER, b. Ann Arbor, Michigan.
iii. CHELSEA ELIZABETH BRAUKER, b. Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Descendants of James Drake
Didn't find what you were looking for?
© Brauker and Company